In spite of the progress of technology and the overall world modernization, the watch is still one of the most popular and preferred accessories by people. Whether it is because of their convenience in terms of time-checking or the fact that they bring style and elegance, watches continue to be seen on people’s hands or on the walls of their homes. In the lines bellow will be shown the factors and reasons for such wide and lasting spread of watches as a product category. In addition, there will be reviewed some very important advice for choosing the right watch and how to preserve it afterwards.
The idea of making a device which has the functions and mechanisms of modern watches exists since Ancient times. Hundreds of years before Christ in China and Egypt are invented time measuring devices. However, many centuries passed before this mechanism was developed and refined so the products close to our modern idea of the watch could become reality. In fact, it was only in the middle of the past millennium that the first mechanical devices, which are used for similar intentions, were created.
The invention of the first pocket–watch is related to the name of the German scientist Peter Henlein. Between 1500 and 1510 he creates a perfect timing mechanism, which was moved by a spring. It was a mainspring clock that could run for about 40 hours. Although for the time being this kind of watches are an almost revolutionary invention, they lack the preciseness, which we are used to nowadays. The early pocket–watches were not very popular amongst the general population. Their high price makes them a device, which is only suitable for people from the high society.
The beginning not only of the watch, but also of the entire new era in the evolution and development of this product category, is related to the French inventor Abraham–Louis Breguet. For years he had been working with famous watchmakers. But then he had his own atelier and shop, what’s more – he launched his own trademark. This was also the start of his research work on the improvement of the clock mechanism.
In 1780 Abraham–Louis Breguet presents a mechanical watch made by him, which is a great discovery at the time. This watch is much more accurate and precise in measuring time than its predecessors, and it also works continuously, with no interruptions. Expanding the territory of France during Napoleon Bonaparte lets Abraham–Louis Breguet considerably increase his profits. He also makes investments in the greater perfecting and modernizing of the production. In result, there are launched watches with hands in the center of the dial, military stopwatch and a great number of innovations.
After the death of Abraham–Louis Breguet his activity is continued by his grandson Louis François Clément Breguet, who makes the first electric watch. The Breguet brand is preserved over time as a symbol of quality and innovation, playing a major role in the launching of modern watch models with convenience, many new features and extras. Currently, this brand is owned by the Swiss corporation Swatch. Still, owning a Breguet watch continues to be a sign of prestige and an excellent taste.
Checking the time is, naturally, the basic function of watches. But it is not the only function of modern devices, which are characterized with fine designs and a great number of additional characteristics and extras. Watches could also serve us to measure time (just like a stopwatch), as a room ornament or to show off our social status. Here is a bit more about each of these applications of watches:
- checking time – despite the availability of smartphones, which nowadays are used for almost anything, watches continue to be an extremely convenient and preferred tool for checking time by users. What are their advantages in terms of that? Watches, for example, give you the opportunity to see the exact time as quickly and easily as possible whenever you want (with no unnecessary movements, unlike smartphones). Watches are perfect for places where using smartphones is not allowed (for example at an exam).
- measuring time – a great number of watches could also be used as stopwatches by their owners. In terms of that, they could serve to measure a period of time, which is of a highest importance to you. Such function is usually useful for different sport contests, training sessions and other situations, when you need to check the coverage of a certain time norm.
- ornament – watches are used for decoration mostly in our homes, but also in other public places, where placing them is appropriate. Wall clocks bring to each room an antique and traditional atmosphere, which is perfect for creating a feeling of home–like coziness and comfort.
- style and prestige – watches, which are part of the catalogs of worldwide famous brands, could easily become a symbol of style and prestige. Quite often people buy watches by famous brands just to prove they have an excellent taste and that they belong to a particular social group.
The most common classification for different kinds of watches is made depending on the place where you put or wear them. In the lines bellow will be shown the main kinds of watches according to that criteria, as well as some of their characteristics.
- pocket watches – their major advantage is that they are small and people can always carry them with themselves. For the manufacture of fine devices of this kind are used precious metals such as gold and silver, and sometimes even Gems are added for additional decoration.
- table clocks – unlike pocket watches, table clocks are usually made for your home. A considerable part of them is also used as alarm clocks. Table clocks could have quite beautiful and aesthetic outlook.
- wrist watches – wrist watches are still a very popular accessory. They are very suitable for easily checking the time. What is more, wearing wrist watches, which are part of the catalogs of famous brands, is a common sign of style, an excellent taste and high social status.
- wall clocks – wall clocks are still used in a lot of houses. They are convenient for keeping track of time, and at the same time serve perfectly as a decorative wall element. Apart from houses and apartments, wall clocks are also used in business buildings and public places.
There is a great number of factors and criteria, which should be considered when choosing a new watch. Starting from mechanism and its material, to the brand and price. Here is what you should know about each of these factors:
1. Mechanism – watches’ mechanisms could be quartz or mechanical. Mechanical are preferred by people who love the old and traditional style of watches. Currently quartz watches are more popular because of their preciseness, accuracy and low price.
2. Material – another factor of a great importance when choosing a new watch. The combination between stainless steel and brass is amongst the most preferred, because it is sustainable and at the same time does not significantly increase the value of watches. Those, which are made from gold and platinum, belong to higher-class prices.
3. Waterproofness – waterproofness is a very useful watches’ extra. On the market are available a couple of watches groups divided by that criteria. Watches with marked water resistance of 30 or 50 m would be damaged by anything more than a splash. You should not go into a swimming pool when wearing those. You should also not leave them around places with significant water concentration. For such intentions you can use watches with waterproofness of 100 m or more.
4. Brand – the brand of watches is not only important because of its style and prestige, but also in terms of the device’s quality. Manufacturers with established brand names and market traditions would not let themselves compromise with the quality and reliability of their watches. In terms of that, usually it is a better idea to buy a watch by a famous brand (even if it is second hand), instead of buying a watch, which will make you doubt its quality and preciseness.
5. Price – there is no way price could stay unconsidered when choosing a watch. Especially by the average user, who is just looking for a device, which features and characteristics will suit their everyday schedule. In BalkanAuction you can search through a great range of watches, both new and second hand. Here you can definitely find the right watch for your needs and preferences, taste and financial ability.
Buying a reliable quality watch does not guarantee that it would stay in an excellent condition for a long time. In order for this to happen you need to take care of the device in a proper way. In the lines bellow will be shown some useful advice and practices for keeping watches well-preserved:
- be careful with magnetic fields – do not leave your watch near devices, which emit a strong magnetic field (for example – mobile phones, speakers, etc.). Such devices could damage the functionality and precise work of your watch in the long run.
- no chemical detergents – if your watch is waterproof, you can use water or even a little bit of soap for its cleaning. But you should never use strong chemical detergents.
- change the strap – it is a good idea to do this because of hygiene and is highly recommended for leather straps.
BalkanAuction – Sell smart, Buy wisely!