Just like old wine, old books have irresistible and attractive scent even for us, modern people. In time this old books’ scent becomes even more intoxicating and attractive. It is a scent of the past, of chocolate and vanilla, of candles and a fireplace. It is clearly distinguishable, but words will never be enough to give the exact description of that addictive scent and why it attracts us. Here is why specialists have managed to carry over the magnificent scent of old books into candles and perfumes. But what does exactly the scent of an old book bring us?
Scent of the past – the old book is a treasury which hides human history, human pain and joy from hundred years ago. In it we will find the love and the sorrow, the misery and the delight of people who lived in obscure dark times which we call „past“. Because the old book keeps human lives and fates between its covers. They are so close and yet so far from us. The old book makes us understand that there is not only „here and now“, but also „there and before“.
Scent of luxury and respect – owning and showing old books, as well as old paintings, changes entirely the atmosphere of our home. Do you remember those black and white movies, when the richest and noblest home was recognized by its library, where dozens of well-maintained old books with thick covers were arranged? A person who possesses a lot of valuable old books is seen in a totally different way – he gets respect, honor and even admiration.
Scent of authenticity – only between two thick covers of an old book, carrying time with themselves, you will truly feel the genius of great writers such as Balzac, Hugo, Maupassant and Chekhov. This is a feeling you will never explore through a shiny edition of a modern press. Old books imperceptibly immerse the reader in the atmosphere of past times and help understand the traditions and values of life and then pass those on to the next generation through their heirs. Every old book has its history as an object held in the hands of other people before you. Usually on the pages of old books there could be seen notes, names, dates, signatures, a drawn heart. Even an old book held by several hands through the years hides a destiny, another life of some person who has loved and suffered, has doubted and has been uplifted before you. Because you are just another admirer, who is allowed to dive into the old book. And how good it is to feel that before you, there were others …
A dream of escape – an old book creates a feeling of escape from the oppressive reality which is so desired by the 21st century man. The scent, the font and its authenticity will immerse you back in times when men were real, while women – more ladylike temptresses who sacrificed their life for the impulse of heart. Old books are somehow an escape from reality, which brings the reader tranquility and comfort and separates him from the daily problems, troubles and worries. A feeling of true knowledge – in old books is gathered knowledge, passed on from one generation to another, which has created the foundation of the greatest achievements of science and technology. Despite the ever-growing influence of the Internet and e-readers, old books still have much to offer to today's admirer of written speech.
Old books have unsuspected effect and qualities:
- they stimulate the imagination and creativity – old books are not only an instrument for immersing in new unknown worlds, but they are also a generator of imagination, action and creative means. In this case, an old book would be much more useful than television and movies.
- they offer tranquility and comfort – another distinctive feature of old books preserved in the library at home. The old book is an escape from the daily high levels of stress and tension for the modern working man, who wanders between business meetings and usual tasks in the office. At the end of the day there is nothing better than forgetting the bad part of the day, sitting on your couch with a drink, reading your favorite old book. It is like a friend who brings back peace and comfort.
Nowadays an old book is still one of the best gifts for a relative, a lover or a friend. In this case it is not so important what the financial value of the old book is. What matters is what it carries inside and how you prove that you truly care about someone - you have been searching for the exact edition from the exact year. This is a gift that will be remembered and appreciated by its worth.
Old books have collectible value – the older a book is, the higher its collectible value may be. The collectible value of an old book gives another great advantage in the hands of its owner. Even when a man doesn’t need them or just wants to free more space, old books can easily be sold at a relatively good price. Online auctions are an extremely useful tool which connects the seekers of old books that have a collectible value with their future owners.
BalkanAuction is a platform for online auctions aiming to connect users from Romania, Bulgaria, Greece and other Balkan countries. The old books which are offered in it are delimitated as a „Books before 1945.“, subcategory, a part of the main „Books“category. The users of Balkan.Aution can find a great number of old books from different periods of time, including collectible editions. Here are the main accents of the „Old books“ subcategory or those before 1945 in BalkanAuction:
- History – in BalkanAuction there are a lot of old books related not only to the Balkan, but to the world history, too. For those who desire to get to know the history and the development of different nations and cultures in Europe and the whole world, worthy old books would be – „1781 - The History of nations - Volume 13 - Spain and Portugal“, „The History of the Jews 1886 v.I“ and „Napoleon“ by Emil Ludwig.
- Science – it is always interesting and helpful at the same time to read scientific works in different fields which value has been preserved throughout time. In BalkanAuction there could be found a lot of similar old books at extremely reasonable prices – we have editions related to medicine and the study of the human body, as well as books which have information about the different elements for the surrounding world.
- Art – those who admire art also have the opportunity to choose the most appropriate old books for their interests and preferences in BalkanAuction. Graphics and sculpture, architecture and design, music and dance – all these can be described in the best way possible on the pages of a book. In most cases the texts are extremely well presented to the reader and completed with original illustrative materials.
- Classic artworks – the „Old books“ subcategory in BalkanAuction contains a great number of titles, which have become classic to readers from different nationalities and cultures all over the world. Such unforgettable novels are „Les Misérables“ by Victor Hugo, „The Count of Monte Cristo“ by Alexandre Dumas (father), etc
- For children – we shouldn’t forget the youngest, who need to have fun while gaining new knowledge about the surrounding world. In the „Old Books“ subcategory there could be found unique and extremely well-preserved children’s readings, which date back to the years before 1945
In BalkanAuction you will find old books from all spheres and genres which will capture your interest. The popularity of the platform and the great number of people who use it for buying and selling guarantee you the necessary fullness and diversity of old books in order to please every user’s taste and preferences.
BalkanAuction – Sell smart, Buy wisely!